Back to school season is in full swing. While the school supply aisles have been crowded with eager students, I have been busy coming up with different ways to reinvent traditional school treats for our partnership with Sprinkles and Grins, a website brought to you by Betty Crocker& Cake Mate. Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing some of my favorite back to school treats as well as telling you about a great way for you to get involved!
Hand these Glitter Apple Cake Pops out on the first day of school as an extra special back to school treat. Teachers, parents, and kids alike will find that these are the talk of the school. Simple to make and fun to eat, these pops are made by adding Cake Mate Red Glitter Icing to cake crumbs. Adding a pretzel stick and a piece of green candy finishes off these treats, making them ready to impress!
What you need:
- 1/2 of one Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake prepared by following the directions on the back of the box
- 2 cups of Cake Mate Red Glitter Icing
- 25 cake pop sticks
- 13 pretzel sticks
- 13 green gum drops or green spearmint candy
- Once the cake has cooled, use your hands to crumble cake into a large bowl.
- Add 2 cups of Cake Mate Red Glitter Icing into the bowl of crumbled cake.
- Using your hands, mix the cake and icing together until it is fully combined into a smooth, moist consistency. The glitter icing will color the cake and make each cake pop shine.
- Take a small section of the mixture, and roll it into a smooth ball.
- Carefully insert a cake pop stick into each cake pop.
- Break your pretzel sticks in half. Insert one half pretzel stick on top of each cake pop to represent the stem of the apple.
- Using kitchen scissors or a knife, cut a thin slice of a green gum drop or spearmint candy to represent the leaf. The candy is already sticky, so it will stick to your cupcake; however, you can also apply a small dot of icing to ensure the candy sticks to your cake pop.
Submitted by Melissa at Best Friends For Frosting.